A devastating act of hate struck San Diego on Monday morning. Three people are dead after a targeted San Diego shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego — the city’s largest mosque — in what police are already investigating as a hate crime. Two teenage suspects then died by apparent self-inflicted gunshot wounds shortly after the attack. Moreover, the shooting sent shockwaves through the Muslim community, the city, and the entire nation. Here is everything we know right now.
What Happened: A Timeline of the Attack
The First Warning Call
The morning of May 18, 2026, began with a mother’s desperate phone call to police.
San Diego police got their first call around 9:42 a.m. from the mother of one of the suspects. She told officers her son had gone missing along with her firearms and car. She also said her son was suicidal and most likely in the company of a friend. Both young men were wearing fatigues, she told police. Credo
Investigators then made a connection between one of the suspects and Madison High School, about a mile from the Islamic Center. Officers were already in the area talking with the mother, working to determine where the suspects might be, when the crisis escalated just blocks away. Credo
The Shooting Begins
At 11:43 a.m., police received reports of an active shooter at the mosque. Officers responded immediately because they were already nearby due to the earlier missing persons call. Credo
At 12:43 p.m., police said the scene was still active but contained. By 1:07 p.m., police confirmed the shooters had been neutralized. Mindfoundry
Police Find the Suspects Dead
Police found two teen suspects dead in a car near the Islamic Center of San Diego. San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said both teens appeared to have died from self-inflicted gunshot wounds. Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
The pair were 17 and 18 years old. Law enforcement confirmed both died by self-inflicted gunshot wounds at the scene. Credo
The Victims: Three Lives Lost
Three people, including a security guard, died in the shooting. Authorities have not yet publicly released the victims’ names but say they will do so in the coming days. Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
Law enforcement confirmed the suspects were teenagers and that all three victims were adult men. Credo
Meanwhile, there is one piece of vital good news from inside the mosque complex. An imam from the Islamic Center of San Diego confirmed that all teachers, students, and school staff members at the mosque are safe. The Islamic Center houses both a mosque and a school — and students were present during the attack. Therefore, the confirmed safety of every child on the premises stands as a critical detail in an otherwise devastating story. Credo
Hate Crime Investigation: The Evidence
Racial Pride Writings and Weapons Graffiti
The evidence of a hate-motivated attack emerged quickly — and it is deeply disturbing.
One of the suspects took a firearm from their parents’ home and left a suicide note that contained writings about racial pride, law enforcement officials said. Additionally, hate speech appeared scrawled on one of the weapons. Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
Police Chief Wahl confirmed at a news conference that detectives are actively investigating the attack as a hate crime. “There are details and information that we are investigating as to exactly what the hate speech or the hate words were,” Wahl said. “But yes, it’s being investigated as a hate crime. At this point, there was definitely hate rhetoric involved.” Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
Wahl added clearly: “Because of the Islamic Centre location, we are considering this a hate crime until it’s not.” The Data Advisor
Therefore, while the full investigation continues, the early evidence already points toward a premeditated, ideologically motivated attack on a Muslim house of worship.
The FBI Takes the Lead
FBI Special Agent in Charge Mark Remily told reporters at a news conference: “We are in the process of interviewing family and friends of the subjects, and evidence response teams are gathering all evidence from the scene for review. We will process everything as quickly, but as meticulously as we can.” Furthermore, Remily confirmed bomb technicians cleared the vehicle where the suspects died. “We will leave no stone unturned,” he said. Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
The Islamic Center of San Diego: A Community Landmark

Shooting scene at the Mosque
The Islamic Center of San Diego sits in the Clairemont Mesa East neighborhood — roughly 8 miles north of downtown San Diego. It is the largest mosque in San Diego County. Mindfoundry
Imam Taha Hassane described the ICSD as a gathering place for people of all backgrounds — including non-Muslims — to pray, learn, and celebrate together. “It is extremely outrageous to target a place of worship,” Hassane said. “Our Islamic Center is a place of worship.” The Data Advisor
Additionally, the attack struck during a particularly sacred moment in the Islamic calendar. Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass noted that Monday marks the first day of Dhul Hijjah — one of the holiest months of the year for Muslims worldwide. Consequently, the timing of the San Diego shooting added another layer of grief to an already devastating day for the Muslim community. Credo
How San Diego’s Leaders Are Responding
The Mayor Speaks Out
San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria strongly condemned the attack at a news conference and promised additional protections for every house of worship across the city. “Hate has no home in San Diego. Islamophobia has no home in San Diego. An attack on any San Diegan is an attack on all San Diegans, and we will not stand for it in America’s finest city,” Gloria said. The Data Advisor
Moreover, Gloria spoke directly to the Muslim community. He said: “No one in our city should live in fear because of their identity, their faith, or their place of learning.” He also pledged that anyone who engages in hate-inspired violence in San Diego will face the full force of local law enforcement. Credo
California Governor Condemns the Attack
California Governor Gavin Newsom said he and his wife were “horrified by today’s violent attack at the Islamic Center of San Diego, where families and children gather, and neighbors worship in peace and fellowship.” He added: “Worshippers anywhere should not have to fear for their lives. Hate has no place in California, and we will not tolerate acts of terror or intimidation against communities of faith.” Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
New York Mayor Speaks Up for Muslims Nationwide
New York Mayor Zohran Mamdani — who made history as New York City’s first Muslim mayor — called the attack “horrifying.” He said: “Islamophobia endangers Muslim communities across this country. We must confront it directly and stand together against the politics of fear and division.” Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
Security Responses Spread Across California
The San Diego shooting immediately triggered security responses well beyond the city limits.
The Los Angeles Police Department announced it will deploy increased patrols at Los Angeles-area mosques, Islamic centers, and other houses of worship. The LAPD confirmed no known threat in Los Angeles but called the added patrols a necessary precaution. Credo
Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass said she is “outraged and heartbroken.” She added firmly: “Houses of worship must be true sanctuaries where hate and violence have no place.” Credo
Consequently, the security impact of Monday’s attack is already reshaping the protection of Muslim institutions up and down the California coast.
Why This Attack Matters Beyond San Diego
This shooting does not happen in isolation. Indeed, hate crimes targeting Muslim Americans and Islamic institutions have trended upward over the past decade, reaching alarming levels during periods of heightened political rhetoric around immigration, religion, and race.
Furthermore, the Islamic Center of San Diego carries deep historical significance. It stands as one of the oldest and most prominent Islamic institutions on the West Coast, serving tens of thousands of Muslim Americans across San Diego County. Therefore, attacking it carries symbolic weight far beyond the lives lost on Monday morning.
The presence of racial pride writings in the suicide note and hate language on the weapons confirms this attack fits a documented and growing pattern. Since 2015, shootings at houses of worship — churches, synagogues, and mosques — have claimed dozens of lives across the United States. However, each attack also reveals how quickly communities, law enforcement, and elected officials can unite in the face of targeted hate violence.
Key Questions Investigators Still Need to Answer
The investigation remains in its earliest hours. However, several critical questions still require answers:
- Who are the three victims? — Police say they will release names within days
- What exactly does the suicide note say? — Investigators are analyzing the full contents
- Did anyone know about the suspects’ plans? — The FBI is interviewing family and friends
- What is the complete sequence of events inside the mosque? — Surveillance footage and witness accounts are under review
- Did the suspects display prior warning signs? — Investigators are tracing their digital histories and social media activity
- Will federal hate crime charges apply? — The FBI’s involvement opens the door to federal prosecution, even with both suspects dead
What Americans Should Know Right Now
Here is a concise summary of confirmed facts as of Monday evening, May 18, 2026:
- Three adults died, including a security guard, at the Islamic Center of San Diego
- Two teenage suspects — aged 17 and 18 — died by self-inflicted gunshot wounds
- The attack began at approximately 11:43 a.m. at the Clairemont neighborhood mosque
- Police are actively investigating the shooting as a hate crime
- A suicide note contained racial pride writings; hate speech also appeared on one weapon
- All students and school staff at the on-site Islamic school are safe
- The attack fell on the first day of Dhul Hijjah — a holy time for Muslims worldwide
- California has deployed additional security to mosques statewide
Conclusion
The San Diego shooting at the Islamic Center of San Diego on May 18, 2026, represents one of the deadliest targeted attacks on a Muslim house of worship in recent American history. Two teenagers, armed with stolen guns and driven by racial hatred, deliberately attacked San Diego’s largest mosque during one of Islam’s holiest days. As a result, three innocent men are dead, a community is grieving, and a city is grappling with what happened inside its borders.
Nevertheless, the response from San Diego’s leaders, California’s governor, and elected officials across the country has moved fast and spoken loudly. They have pledged resources, expanded security, and delivered a unified message: this community will not grieve alone, and this hate will not go unanswered.
Furthermore, the FBI and SDPD are working around the clock to deliver answers to the families of the victims, to the congregation of the Islamic Center, and to every American who recognizes that an attack on any house of worship is an attack on all of us.
This is a developing story. US Daily Briefs will update this report as law enforcement releases new information.
If you witness suspicious activity near a mosque or any house of worship, call 911 immediately. To report a hate crime, contact the FBI at tips.fbi.gov or call 1-800-CALL-FBI (1-800-225-5324).
Published by US Daily Briefs | usdailybriefs.com | May 18, 2026



